Laen's extra SMT adaptors are mighty handy....
First to resolve the primary issue from my last post: It turns out that, while 16 MHz operation of a dorkboard on 3.3v is outside the spec'd window, it still works. :) Lesson: When in doubt, try it! Worry about fixing it if it doesn't work.
Next problem: odd data.
I've hooked everything up: PSU to Dorkboard to accelerometer and logger. Using a bit of sample code from the Sparkfun.com website, I've managed to collect data from the device. However, whenever the accel is oriented such that a positive axis is up, there is an odd echo to that axis (see first image, above).
As of 2013/11/3 the project is "complete" and not looking for collaborators. However, we are looking for space to show it! It will be at DB meeting on 2013/11/4 at Backspace for people that are interested in viewing it.
This is a natural extension of the Exquisite Corpse form of drawing/painting/writing/film into electromechanical form.
1 piece. 12 collaborators. 12 months.
The schedule is now full.
I just got back from the Occupation area in the park on the river-side of the court house. There are 200 to 300 people there, spirits are good.
I asked what were the most immediate needs of O.P.
They are also trying to make (or get) a human-powered bicycle-generator to re-charge batteries of cell phones, etc. If anyone happens to have such a thing, they could really use it!
Doing revolutionary things with electricity...
Dorkbot PDX would like to welcome you to the latest installment of our semi-regular presentation series:
I was recently accepted into the DorkbotPDX gallery installation at Styloid Process entitled "Connection & Suspension" with my first electronic art piece called "Conversation Piece". My favorite kind of artwork is the kind that invites you to play with it. I was inspired by the last Dorkbot show a few years back, where there were lots of fun electronic toys, plus a gallery nearby that had kinetic artwork. I had observed a cooperative play that happened at Luz parties (club shows with interactive graphics) where two people would riff back and forth as long as there were enough inputs and visible output for multiple people. Knowing this, I had gone through several ideas before I reached the very simple tin can idea. I had the separate idea to make a USB tin can that you could use with Skype, but realized that it wouldn't be practical for a gallery setting, especially with a computer, so I decided to make two tin cans that would be strung at opposite ends of the gallery, where two people would have to negotiate to communicate with each other.
The construction process was pretty arduous. I isolated the piece into its elements, which were the two tin cans and a central Arduino that would switch between the two. After reading two electronics books partway and building a dud of an intercom circuit, I went back to the source of the problem by heeding Jason from Dorkbot's advice - build an amplifier.
Workshop Title: Introduction to PCB Layout Using EAGLE
Sunday, September 25th, 2011 (1-5pm)
ADX Portland (417 SE 11th Ave)
No RSVP required. Just drop in.
Description: We all love circuits with blinky lights that make strange noises, but imagine how much cooler your circuits would look on a custom-designed and manufactured circuit board. It's easier than it may seem, and we're going to show you how it's down.
Thanks again to Janiece for offering up her gallery and hosting, and a major thanks to everybody that contributed work for the show!
Update: This code was committed to Arduino's github repository on Dec 16. It should become available in the next version of Arduino, eg 1.0.1.
Sunday has been a hot day in Portland. I know for a fact that it is even hotter in the community garden shed where Russell and I installed Wikiduino today.
I've described our good luck creating conectivity in a previous post. Now I'm excited to have real data wrapped in wiki pages streaming from a version 1.0 Arduino program. I upgraded to the 1.0 beta 3 version to use Paul Stoffregen's implementation of Strings. Thanks Paul.