The Church of Robotron is coming to Portland, OR. We will be open the Last Wednesday of September (the 24th) and the First Thursday of October (the 2nd) starting at 7pm both nights at the Diode Gallery (514 NW Couch St) which is across the street from Ground Kontrol. We'll have multiple versions of Robotron 2084 available to train with and we will be triggering physical events in response to game events. One example: lasers when lasers are shot in game. For info about how this is accomplished, check out this older post.
Right now, we have an installation in the window at the gallery which is running 24/7 until October 3rd. It features a fully playable version of Robtron 2084, sermons, and a leaderboard that has pictures of all who attempt to become the mutant savior. Here's a video of it:
The window sensor is a capacitive sensor that was made by Philip Odom. He used the same techniques he taught during the Capacitive Sensing Workshop. Jason Plumb got audio working by using a transducer that turns the window into a speaker. The sign was built by Debbie Wager. Finally, this was all integrated together by the rest of the church.
Come check out the window anytime! Come to our open nights (9/24 & 10/2), check out this post for an idea of what to expect!
Earlier this summer, I worked on a tiny piece of the Embrace sculpture, for Burning Man 2014.
Inside were 2 hearts, one made here in Portland by Lostmachine Andy & other burners at Flat Rat Studios. I made electronics to gradually fade 4 incandescent light bulbs in heart beating patterns.
Click "Read more" for technical details and many more wonderful photos (taken by Sarah Taylor)....
Update: a live demo page is now available. :)
Recently I've been working on an optimized ILI9341 display library, to take advantage of Teensy 3.1's more capable SPI hardware. Here's a quick video demo, so you can see how much of a difference it makes.
In the transition from 8 to 32 bit microcontrollers, on-chip SPI ports usually gain more sophisticated features. Special programming is needed to fully levergage these more powerful features. Merely recompiling code designed for simple SPI hardware on 8 bit hardware rarely acheives the best performance. As you can see in the video, optimizing for these features makes a pretty dramatic improvement.
Click "Read more" for the all the technical details...
For the last several weeks, I've been working on SPI transactions for Arduino's SPI library, to solve conflicts that sometimes occur between multiple SPI devices when using SPI from interrupts and/or different SPI settings.
To explain, a picture is worth 1000 words. In this screenshot, loop() repetitively sends 2 bytes, where green is its chip select and red is the SPI clock. Blue is the interrupt signal (rising edge) from a wireless module. In this test, the interrupt happens at just the worst moment, during the first byte while loop() is using the SPI bus!
Click "Read mode" for lots more detail.....
Recently I've been working to improve the Arduino SPI library, to better support multiple SPI devices with different settings, and SPI devices requiring interrupts.
Today I discovered a new problem while testing the HopeRF RFM69 wireless module.
Click "Read more" for details and the workaround I found....
I had some spare 4-digit 7-segment LED displays and some AT90USB82s, and I'd always intended to do something with them. This was probably the easiest thing! It's just the AT90 driving the display, with a(t least) 4 wires controlling it: Vcc, GND, MOSI and SCK. (
I haven't written the code yet, but my plan is to make the display accepts characters via SPI and then spends the rest of the time displaying them).
Here's the beginnings of a circuit for playing with what I think of as power electronics -- particularly inductors and batteries. Design goal is modest voltage (6-25V), modest current (1-5A), modest power (5-10W). I'd like to be able to characterize inductors and transformers, learn about magnetic saturation, and charge & discharge batteries.
Here is a pix of my synth project. The top panel has artwork that will get applied to the panel. Lots of holes drilled...whew! Below is the bottom panel with applied artwork and holes ready for mounting controls! I spent many hours getting the artwork right. That would dictate where the holes would go and allow for spacing of the pots and switches and to get it all to fit on the panel size I had.
Years ago, around the time DorkbotPDX's meetup moved from Vendetta to NW Lucky Lab, Ben Bleything brought LCDs from decommissioned point-of-sale terminals to the meetup. I did some reverse engineering to get them working!
At the time, I wrote 3 blog articles aboug the reverse engineering effort. Only one of them survived from the early days of this website. Recently, I found the original text those old 3 articles, and also a small pile of the LCDs... which I'll be giving away at upcoming meetings!
Click "Read more" for those 3 original articles with the fine details of reverse engineering (and source code) for these old LCDs....